Today I’m joined by the legendary olympic weightlifting coach, Mike Burgener, also known as Coach B. Coach B is a Level 5 Senior International Weightlifting coach and now retired head coach for CrossFit Weightlifting Seminar Staff. He is a graduate of Notre Dame, where he played football, and obtained his MS degree from the University of Kentucky. He was also a Captain in the United States Marine Corps and a very successful athlete both in football and in weightlifting. This is a conversation I’ve looked forward to for awhile and I really enjoyed getting to chat with Mike about who he is outside the gym. In today’s episode we dig into the inception of Mike’s Gym, Geezer weightlifting, the development of a community, the evolution of weightlifting, and much more.
- 4:22- The inception of Mike’s gym
- 7:27- Why not expand the gym?
- 10:17- Geezer weightlifting and open lifting time
- 13:48- Community development
- 16:15- What drew you to playing these different sports?
- 19:42- The evolution from athlete to coach
- 22:49- A key piece to success: education
- 26:10- Mentors
- 28:42- Always being open minded and still learning; light bulb moments
- 32:36- Respect the intensity and passion others have for their craft
- 33:44- The evolution of weightlifting and the sport
- 38:48- Where’s the sweet spot in a training cycle?
- 42:25- What could weightlifting look like in 10, 20, 30 years?
- 47:27- 10 point scoring system
- 48:08- managing the silence
- 52:48- visualization techniques
- 57:31- how do you view how you’ve set up your life now
- 1:02:00- How does it feel to have your kids pursuing weightlifting in some way shape or form?
- 1:06:30- Was there ever a time when you felt as though your back was against the wall and the only way to go was forward?
- 1:13:31- Learn more about Mike
Resources we may have talked about
How you can connect with Mike
- Instagram: @mikeburgener
- Email: email@example.com
- Text or Call: 760-535-1835
- Burgener Strength; Youtube
This episode is brought to you by Revive-Rx. Their supplements help me stay fueled and help me live the motto of #lookgoodmovewell. I personally am a huge fan of the Recover Strawberry, which I use immediately after my training sessions. Use the code “miz10” to get 10% off your purchase.
If you wanna grab any book we’ve talked about in the past, head over to theairbornemind.com/readinglist. You’ll see all the books recommended from each guest. And if you want you can get a free audiobook and 30 day free trial there as well.
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review on iTunes and lemme know what you think. It would really help me out so I can continue creating awesome stuff for you.
And remember the greatest compliment you can give is by sharing this with someone else who might enjoy it or somewhere on the web. Once again thank you for being a listener and supporting the show. Until next time.