Brian Mackenzie is back on the show!! He has studied performance and movement for more than a decade along with altitude, hypoxia, breathing mechanics, heat and cold exposure. He most recently co-authored the book “Unplugged” with Dr. Andy Galpin.
This episode builds upon our first one (EP.13), where we dug into the science and physiology behind breathing. I went through a breath assessment and have been experimenting with my customized breathing protocols for the last 4 weeks. I’ve been using it to process and switch between tasks more efficiently, mitigate unwanted stress and anxiety, and really observing how these different protocols affect your physiological state.
My favorite segments of this episode are where we discuss creative process, the forgotten art of apprenticeship, time management, and the dance between fulfillment and challenge. Oh and you’ll also hear about how Brian’s been swimming with sharks for some new research studies on fear and anxiety coming out of Stanford’s laboratories.
- (6:50) – The Art of Breath
- (8:37) – Research for fear & anxiety
- (12:06) – How different breath protocols impact your physiological state
- (25:35) – Balancing intensity with day to day activities
- (28:00) – Task Switch
- (35:05) – Creative process
- (39:17) – Time management
- (47:26) – Intuition
- (53:00) – Methods of learning
- (58:58) – Collaboration and the zone of genius
- (1:02:33) – Art of Apprenticeship
- (1:07:50) – Systems and parallels
- (1:12:15) – The dance of fulfillment and challenge
- (1:28:38) – Narrative
- (1:40:38) – Mindset behind sharing
Resources we may have talked about:
- Breath Assessment
- #13 – Unscared | Slow Dance With Fear: Breathing For Performance And Recovery w/ Brian Mackenzie
How you can connect with Brain:
This episode is brought to you by Revive-Rx. Their supplements help me stay fueled and help me live the motto of #lookgoodmovewell. I personally am a huge fan of the Recover Strawberry, which I use immediately after my training sessions. Use the code “miz10” to get 10% off your purchase.
If you wanna grab any book we’ve talked about in the past, head over to theairbornemind.com/readinglist. You’ll see all the books recommended from each guest. And if you want you can get a free audiobook and 30 day free trial there as well.
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review on iTunes and lemme know what you think. It would really help me out so I can continue creating awesome stuff for you.
And remember the greatest compliment you can give is by sharing this with someone else who might enjoy it or somewhere on the web. Once again thank you for being a listener and supporting the show. Until next time.